Thursday, April 6, 2023

Review: The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England

The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yes Blake, I believe you’re right. Sanderson did, in fact, do an isekai.

The second of four Secret Projects in the Year of Sanderson is, by Brandon Sanderson’s own admission, the odd man out for a number of reasons. It’s fantasy like all the others, albeit sci fi in disguise with its use of historically semi accurate at best pocket dimensions for its setting. It’s not part of the Cosmere, but it’s at least part of Sanderson’s Alcatraz series, which really flew under my radar because I was already a bit aged out of the target audience when they came out…but one day I’ll read them too. It’s got a lot of thoughtful comments about history and its course, because while all the infinite pocket dimensions are infinite combinations that may not necessarily impact the real world, we of enlightened mind can all agree that it’s good to have safeguards so you can’t do a colonialism.

But most of all, this book, more than many I’ve seen in a while, adheres to one of Sanderson’s brightest laws of magic: “Err on the side of awesome.”

Here’s hoping the hardcover version doesn’t take the whole quarter to get to my mailbox…but when it does arrive, I’m absolutely rereading as soon as possible.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment