Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Review: Silver in the Bone

Silver in the Bone Silver in the Bone by Alexandra Bracken
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was honestly ready to give up as an Alexandra Bracken reader entirely after Lore - for me, that book was such a misfire, a coalescence of all of Bracken's biggest faults (stories bloated with dead air, characters with shockingly little appeal) - that I gave it a rare one star that wasn't a DNF. For this book, the first in a planned trilogy rooted in Arthurian legend, I'm going to be generous with an extra star because it was a more interesting story than Lore, and slightly less burdened with Bracken's usual overlong dead air. But it's seriously just damning this book with faint praise - the story is still quite muddled and slow, and at times it's hard to tell that this isn't supposed to be a historical fantasy until a cell phone suddenly crops up, and then it feels like a huge anachronism that never gets addressed. At this point, I'm just giving up on Bracken as a reader, but at least I'm giving up on a higher note than Lore - that would just have been too much disappointment.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment