Monday, July 31, 2023

Review: On the Shoulders of Titans

On the Shoulders of Titans On the Shoulders of Titans by Andrew Rowe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While seeing me read this second book of Arcane Ascension at work, my coworker Tory, who recommended this author to me to begin with, would go off on tangents about the various connections between this series and others from Mr. Rowe. After reading this book in its entirety, I can see why - the ending to this one is slightly more concerned, especially right on the last line, with setting up a spinoff more than its direct sequel. In any case, I've already ordered both those following books at the library. In the meantime, I'll be able to sit and digest this one a little longer. It's for sure a bit of a bigger beast than the first book, but also pretty long and slow at times. But there's just a bit more family drama woven into the geopolitics of it all - we finally meet Corin's father Magnus, for instance, and learn just how much he needs to be under the continent for how horribly abusive he is to his own son and his son's friends. Corin also tries to navigate his complex feelings for Jin, as well as the fact that he's also finding himself drawn to a lady classmate, suggesting that he's biromantic. Best of all, the winter ball, built up ever since the middle of Book 1, finally comes along with all the drama one could expect - Buffy's proms ain't got nothing on this. Hopefully soon I'll have one or both of the follow-up books in my library pile...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment