Sunday, July 9, 2023

Review: Age of Vice

Age of Vice Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I’m sorry to say that while I did go into this book with good expectations, I should’ve heeded Jaroda’s not so dazzling rating. This book, in addition to getting plaudits and blurbs from Marlon James and Lee Child both (when was the last time that happened? Or will it ever happen again?), also manages to be both compulsively readable and yet so unrelentingly downbeat and vicious to its own protagonist that after a while of long slogging, I just had to give up. I think it was the point where Kapoor introduced a journalist character clearly based on herself. That was the point where I just skipped ahead, found a few pages that had maybe one line of text, or a few lines of text in the middle all alone - a page count padding tactic I also remember from the only V.E. Schwab novel I didn’t like, Our Dark Duet - and that was where I decided to just nope out. As much as I sympathized with Ajay, I just couldn’t bring myself to continue reading about him and his endless cycles of tragedy and abuse. This one just wasn’t for me, sadly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment