Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Review: The Enchanted Hacienda

The Enchanted Hacienda The Enchanted Hacienda by J.C. Cervantes
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this book when I picked it up at the library - it looked like a sort of darker, more mature take on Disney's Encanto, but Mexican, with a flower based magic system - and maybe, just maybe, the protagonist getting to discover her magic after all. (Spoilers for Encanto, but I'm still salty that Mirabel never got a gift.) Be careful what you wish for and all that, though - because in this book, while the packaging promises mystery and darkness, it's jarring to see how oddly light in tone the book is, and yet almost every character (including Harlow, the protagonist) is annoying in their flaws at best and flat out unlikable at worst. Sorry to say, this one was definitely not for me, so it's an official DNF.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment