Saturday, May 25, 2024

Review: Five Broken Blades

Five Broken Blades Five Broken Blades by Mai Corland
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This one, sadly, is an official DNF for me. It sounded like it could’ve been great for me, with its premise of disparate assassins forced to collaborate to kill a king who absolutely bloody deserves it. Unfortunately, I didn’t get far because of the book’s peculiar structure - it jumps from POV to POV every chapter, and the chapters are all quite short, and all the POV’s are almost indistinguishable from each other. That it’s in first person present tense doesn’t help in this regard - it’s very difficult to pull off multi POV in that style. Just ask Veronica Roth. Or Pierce Brown, whose books have taken longer and longer to write because of how ambitious they are in scope. Sadly, Corlamd doesn’t pull it off for me, but I’m sure she’ll find herself a loyal readership with others.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment