Thursday, May 9, 2024

Review: The Watchers

The Watchers The Watchers by A.M. Shine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This one is getting a 2.5 rounded generously up to 3 in large part because of the promise of the upcoming film adaptation this summer, written and directed by Ishana Night Shyamalan, daughter of M. Night. But also because of the creepy af incorporation of Irish faerie mythology - these Fair Folk have teeth in all the ways. Unfortunately, this book suffers from a preponderance of characters I can't bring myself to care for all that much, but I think Ishana Night Shyamalan's movie version will be all the better for it because it'll be adding striking visual elements, and what I'm sure will be a command performance from Dakota Fanning in the lead role. And since the Shyamalan family business is notorious for twists (seriously, it's a family business - M. Night personally funded the production for this one so it was able to get interim waivers during last year's strikes), I suspect that Ishana's idea of a twist for the film will be that unlike the book, there will be no sequel. Even though Shine is soon to come out with a sequel called Stay in the Light, which incidentally calls to mind M. Night's earlier hit Split...but who knows? I guess we'll find out Ishana's twist next month when the movie comes out, and guaranteed I'll have my butt in a theater seat opening weekend for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment