Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: Framed!

Framed! Framed! by Malcolm Rose
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As my first read for my book group at work, I have to say this one was a fun one, if a little difficult to figure out what exactly it wanted to be. The murder-mystery part was there, sure, and it had a nice little sci-fi twist with Malc the robot sidekickj, as well as our teen-prodigy YA protagonist. (I might also want to recommend this book to middle-grade readers, though the violence level is just high enough that perhaps not.) But then there were some strange little nuggets of world-building, implying a sort of dystopian setting (after all, where else would the government be so invested in making sure artists reproduced more artists, architects reproduced more architects, etc.?), and because of how short the book is, these more unsettling elements are all but left to take a backseat to the murder mystery. I suppose maybe the sequels will expand on this somewhat - hopefully so if I'm to continue the rest of this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment