Saturday, October 21, 2017

Review: The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I wasn't quite as impressed with The Girl in the Spider's Web as I was with Stieg Larsson's original Millennium series, but David Lagercrantz's second entry, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye, raises his game considerably and becomes my favorite book of his yet, as well as my favorite Lisbeth Salander story since perhaps The Girl Who Played With Fire, if not Dragon Tattoo. Though a lot of the story threads established in the previous book are largely cast aside, Eye includes a few new threads that not only deal heavily in racism and misogyny (and fake news, making it very topical and timely for a series that began very heavily rooted in the early 2000s and I'm pretty sure less than ten years have passed in-universe since Book 1, but that's okay) and Lisbeth basically going undercover in a women's prison, but also in a strange, strange borderline sci-fi plot that reads like the unholy love child of James Rollins' The Last Oracle and Orphan Black. No clones, but creepy Nazi-esque psychological experimentation with twins, particularly Roma twins. Between these two main plots that Lagercrantz cooks up, he crafts a faster, tighter story than his previous effort, or anything Larsson ever wrote. No offense to the master, of course. But this latest book in the series, I'm really hoping it's not the last - and I'm dying for the movie of this one even more than I am for Spider's Web!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment