Friday, October 20, 2017

Review: Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I promised myself I wouldn't read another John Green book after reading and not enjoying The Fault in Our Stars. I broke that promise for this book, yielding to the temptation of one of several extra copies sitting on my library's Lucky Day shelf. Turtles All the Way Down, I couldn't even finish it. I mean, not unlike TFIOS, it had its moments of fun and funny - I especially liked Harold because I've got a very similar car, though a Camry instead of a Corolla, and also the numerous Star Wars references and allusions to the fanfic that Green's cast of characters indulge in. (Though the implication that a guy would be gross enough to send an unsolicited dick pic because he also happens to be a "loser Kylo stan," I felt attacked by that, lol.)

But unlike TFIOS, this book didn't have much of a plot to keep things going. I get that Green was going for good OCD rep, and for what it's worth I've heard a fair few OCD readers appreciate his efforts, but when the book is written in such a rambling, stream-of-consciousness style, it kinda diminishes the entertainment value for me. It makes me feel like, after 60-100 or so pages of little to no plot advancement, not to mention the constant feeling that Green's just polishing this off because he knows he can write anything and people will lap it up, there's really no point in me continuing this book any longer. It really just isn't for me, my friends. Maybe next time John Green gives us a new book, I'll have finally learned to avoid it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment