Sunday, March 4, 2018

Review: Reign of the Fallen

Reign of the Fallen Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The fact that a book like this exists - a YA fantasy with not only bloody disgusting, bloody awesome necromancy driving its core story, but also a bisexual lead and several other queer characters besides - is great enough.

The fact that I kept on reading even when one of my near-instant faves bought the dust and my ship wound up torpedoed just as I was afraid it would be? (Because my ships so rarely sail, and this is no exception.)

Sarah Glenn Marsh, you are a bloody genius.

Sure, the story gets a little slow in the middle third, after the big death and before the big climax and setup for the inevitable sequel. But that's not too much of a hassle. Not when Marsh gives us so many lovable and relatable characters to go around. Especially Odessa, who, while she develops a bit of a potion addiction, never loses more than, oh, maybe twenty percent of her "muchness," as the Mad Hatter would say. She's simply too unique and memorable a lead to miss.

Hopefully the sequel will be along soon, whatever it may be called. And I'm also hoping this series won't wind up being yet another addition to YA's weird duology trend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment