Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Review: Who Fears Death

Who Fears Death Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Every so often, I find myself picking up another Nnedi Okorafor book, and I feel like I'm going to go through them all way too slowly. But this one, it's my favorite of hers yet, precisely because of how hard-hitting it is. Not unlike the current talk of the town in the YA world, The Poppy War, here we have an #ownvoices fantasy novel that features a young protagonist, but is most definitely not a YA novel. Not when such horrors as rape and racism and female circumcision are at the center of the plot, some even woven deep into Onyesonwu's backstory. Who Fears Death is another employee's Staff Pick at the Stanford Bookstore, but now I can assist him in hand-selling this book - though, like with The Fifth Season just down at the other end of the table on the display, with a ton of trigger warnings first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment