Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Review: The Supervillain and Me

The Supervillain and Me The Supervillain and Me by Danielle Banas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Was it SwoonReads where I first read this manuscript in its original form, or Wattpad? Either way, I'm very happy to see it finally published formally. Though I'm not happy to admit that it took me this long to finally pick it up again after its publication. Probably owing to the fact that my library, for whatever reason, never picked up this book and I had to special order from Sacramento like so many others.


I remember a lot of this stuff from before, sort of, but it was very nice to rediscover it like I was reading the whole thing for the first time. A somewhat deconstructive take on superheroes and supervillains - not to the degree of Marissa Meyer's Renegades, and a lot closer to the narrative because of the first-person POV as opposed to the third-person Meyer favors. But it also throws in some elements of Simon Vs. too - obviously less gay, centering m/f romance as it does, but my God, it's a sweet romance, and with the school play in the middle of it too? And when the secret sinistrosity behind the main plot slowly unravels, that's perhaps the most rewarding part of the whole book - because my God, Morriston's got some serious problems behind the scenes, reminding us all that old-timey comic books with their pretty sharp moral delineations aren't where it's at, and that reality is a lot more Grey and Gray.

I'm really hoping the second book comes along soon, and when it does, I'll be better at picking it up as soon as possible.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment