Sunday, February 24, 2019

Review: Undying

Undying Undying by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is supposed to be the end of the series? Duology AGAIN? Gaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...

...but hey, after the first book dazzled me so much, I'm not surprised that this one caps off the story in high action, high romance, and high fashion.



What he said.


While the first book of this duology was very Indiana Jones meets Prometheus in space, this one plays out a lot more Earth-bound and less puzzle-y, but losing nothing of its predecessor's sense of high adventure. With amazingly high stakes, an alien threat that makes me think so much of what a second season of The Event might've looked like, a thrilling trip through Europe (including some time spent in Catalonia, with the Catalan language getting some much-needed spotlight - this book and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue are the only ones I know to use it), and a wonderfully diverse and inclusive future world, particularly where queer characters are concerned - I'm particularly pleased to see bi rep, or at least I think Neal is bi, unless Kaufman and/or Spooner correct me on this.

The epilogue leaves room for me to dream of a continuation of this series, at least in some spinoff form. But for now, to Unearthed and Undying, another pitch-perfect example of the duology done right just like Warcross and Wildcard, I hereby bid ave atque vale.

Now to wait for Kaufman to give us her next collab with Jay Kristoff in Aurora Rising which I'm dying to read sooooooooooooo much...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment