Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Review: The Silvered Serpents

The Silvered Serpents The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Four years ago, I tried to read a Roshani Chokshi book for the first time - her debut, no less. I didn't enjoy it so much, and couldn't even finish it - and the election happening around that time turned into a complete disaster. Is it coincidence that around the time of the next election, I'm reading another Chokshi book, and I finished it and enjoyed it and it's looking like we might just squeak through a victory against the fascist pretender in chief? Damn, I sure hope so. That said, though, it's a damn good book that Chokshi's given us, well worth the extended wait since its predecessor last year. I can see now why she dedicated this one to Nicolas Cage - it's very much a treasure hunting kind of story, globe-trotting to the level I love to see in James Rollins's Sigma Force adventures as our multicultural ensemble travels from Paris to Russia, Siberia, and Istanbul in search of an artifact that promises to completely upend the world of magical Forging forever. And if it could save some of them from dying young, bonus! But of course, Chokshi doesn't make things even the slightest bit easy for her starring cast, who find themselves facing all sorts of obstacles, Egyptian mythomagic, and naturally, a dangerous cliffhanger or two as we await the inevitable trilogy conclusion. Hopefully that one won't be as long a wait...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment