Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Review: The Shadow Crosser

The Shadow Crosser The Shadow Crosser by J.C. Cervantes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Zane Obispo's trilogy of Mayan demigod adventures comes to an end at last, and I'm sad that I wasn't able to read this in publication order with the larger Riordan-verse, since I wound up reading both Tristan Strong Destroys the World and The Tower of Nero first. But The Shadow Crosser opens on a decidedly ominous note, only to ramp up the action and thrills in a way that can only be described as hellishly awesome. And it includes an unexpected sci-fi twist that I'm frankly surprised Yoon Ha Lee and/or Carlos Hernandez didn't beat J.C. Cervantes to including in a Rick Riordan Presents title first - though also, lowkey grateful they didn't, because Hernandez already gets into a lot of space-time shenanigans as it is (though who's complaining?), and if Lee did it, it'd be downright mathematical to a degree not seen in any kidlit book past, present, or future. So I'm kinda glad Cervantes did it, and in a way tailor-made to appeal to me too! So, for the first time for sure, I'm bidding a Rick Riordan Presents series ave atque vale, and hoping to see more great work from J.C. Cervantes in the future!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment