Sunday, December 13, 2020

Review: Instant Karma

Instant Karma Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wow, ain't this a surprise...a Marissa Meyer book that I didn't love with all my heart the second I read it all? But then again, it's also extremely different from all her previous books, being a contemporary romance with only the barest hint of fantasy, and even then it's really just a faint tinge of fabulism at best. Though it's a pretty interesting premise, a girl who starts to think she's developed the ability to cast "instant karma" on anyone who deserves it, of which there are way too many in the (implied Northern California, since San Francisco is the nearest major city and there's a sea lion rescue she volunteers at) beach town she calls home. Interesting it is for sure, especially since it reminds me a tad bit of a certain middle-grade contemporary from this year: Lisa Moore Ramee's Something to Say, where Jenae starts to suspect she's developed a similar power herself and there's really nothing to say she hasn't. But honestly, I think Meyer didn't do as much with this concept as she should have - the story is surprisingly slow-moving, with little to nothing of consequence happening for long stretches of time, and I still feel like there isn't really an ending either. The book just...stops. I guess Meyer, after years of crafting long-running fantasy and sci-fi series, switched gears just a little too abruptly. But I'm sure this book will find its fans, as do all of Meyer's books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment