Sunday, July 25, 2021

Review: Shadows of Self

Shadows of Self Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having finally read this far in the Mistborn saga...well, I did get up to the first Wax and Wayne book a few years ago, only to stop not because I didn't like the books well enough, but because I'd unfortunately fallen victim to the then-latest recurrence of the whole "Brandon Sanderson is a raging homophobe" canard when someone brought up old comments he'd made about Dumbledore. (Oh if only they could see how much he's sought to be more LGBTQ+ inclusive in recent years, especially in The Stormlight Archive...but I digress.) Point being, years late, this is my first time reading this far in Mistborn, and while I'll be giving this one a 3.5, I'll generously round it up to a 4 for Sanderson's usual beautifully complex world-building and lovely spin on steampunk and Western styles. Sure, this book doesn't feel like it moves the plot needle all that much, but there's already one more I've got from the library, and hopefully soon the last novel of this part of Mistborn before Sanderson finally embarks on the pseudo-1980s-cyberpunk-styled series I've been waiting for...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment