Thursday, May 12, 2022

Review: Book of Night

Book of Night Book of Night by Holly Black
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I'm sorry but I really should just give up on trying to find a Holly Black book that I actually like. Even the ones I kinda somewhat enjoy at first, I end up souring on them over time, and a lot of them, I just can't get into, period. For me, with this one (Black's much-hyped adult debut), it was more of the same deal, really. About fifty pages in, at least it was recognizably a Holly Black book, with a world that's pretty modern and well adapted to its fantasy element, and the inland Massachusetts setting, with all the college towns name-dropped, took me back to the days when Cassandra Clare's suggestions helped get me into Questionable Content (before Jeph Jacques became the insufferable, pandering, can't-take-the-slightest-criticism robot fetishist we know him as today). But our protagonist Charlie...man, was she ever so clearly a Holly Black protagonist. I don't know why, but there's something about Holly Black's protagonists that I just find them extremely difficult to connect with or root for, and after about fifty pages, I was so bored that I just gave up. Now I regret putting down money to buy this book, but hopefully it'll find a new home before I move to my new place soon...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment