Monday, May 2, 2022

Review: Fevered Star

Fevered Star Fevered Star by Rebecca Roanhorse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Rebecca Roanhorse returns to the Meridian and picks up pretty quickly after where Black Sun fell off, with Serapio and Naranpa now extra pitted against each other as rival godly avatars, Xiala rather heartbroken by the loss (and naturally, losing herself in a new lover for a few nights - I'm really starting to wonder whether or not Roanhorse took inspiration from Clarke Griffin for Xiala's characterization, and as a fan of Clarke, I'm here for that), and all the powers that be outside the city of Tova circling to try and take advantage of the chaos. Fevered Star is shorter than its predecessor, and takes its time to savor just as much, but also feels, dare I say, a bit unfocused in its storyline? Like, it's hard to tell where Roanhorse is taking things after the devastating ending of Black Sun, and frankly I kinda wish there could've been more focus on Serapio because he's always been my favorite character, and I really really really wish he could rise up against fate the way Xiala would want for him. But, y'know, drama. And Roanhorse cranks it up by the time this book is over, leaving me absolutely dying for the finale...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment