Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Review: Fortuna

Fortuna Fortuna by Kristyn Merbeth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Five star reads have become pretty rare for me in recent years. But this book, which I vaguely remember having a place on the shelf at Stanford Bookstore when it first came out…how the hell didn’t I read it sooner? At least now I know I have sequels to pick up soon, continuing the story of these two trouble twins, Scorpia and Corvus. Thanks to Merbeth’s editor for convincing her to add Corvus’s POV, because she does a damn fine job of deepening the intrigue through his perspective. The comparisons to Becky Chambers - super inclusive and diversely cast space opera - ring true, and I’d like to say this book rivals Hugo winner Arkady Martine as well. It’s an under the radar masterpiece, with 500 pages flying by in a snap, and it absolutely deserves more attention than it’s received. And also, that bi pride colored cover, so bloodydamn synthwave…it is PERFECTION.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment