Monday, November 27, 2023

Review: The Art of Destiny

The Art of Destiny The Art of Destiny by Wesley Chu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“‘Goramh’s second Tenet of Humility. The mind should starve in victory and be ravenous in defeat,’ recited the duchess.

“‘Goramh must have lost a lot of wars,’ Qisami quipped.”


For me, this latest from Wesley Chu is more of a 3.5 rounded up to a 4 - the 3.5 owing to how long the book goes on and on and on even compared to its predecessor, but the rounding up because it doesn't lose its predecessor's delightfully sarcastic humor (such as, for example, the above quote) even as a ton of in universe intrigue starts to build up. (Also, because the last book I read before this one, Iron Flame, got rounded up to 3, so I'm clearly in a generous mood lately, and Chu always gets my generosity.) Thankfully, he says in the acknowledgments that this is to be the middle of a trilogy, because while Goodreads hasn't made an entry yet for the third book, Del Rey would be remiss not to publish one after the particularly abrupt cliffhanger ending of this one, which promises the highest stakes yet. We'll see, though, which trilogy he ends first - this one, or The Eldest Curses with Cassandra Clare (though I'm gonna guess this trilogy gets its ending first...)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment