Friday, November 10, 2023

Review: Shutter

Shutter Shutter by Ramona Emerson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Longlisted for the National Book Award, but it would've been nice to see this one win something too, because it came across my radar at the perfect time for me to really get into it. The Fort Vancouver Library branch up the street from my workplace was promoting this one for Native American Heritage Month, along with many other titles by Native American writers, and this one stands out for its uniquely thrilling blend of murder mystery and paranormal chills. I definitely came for the mystery and stayed for the ghosts, and especially the family drama around some of the ghosts, particularly in the flashbacks to Rita's childhood as one of the few Navajo girls in Catholic school. (And, of course, her grandmother telling stories about residential schools and the associated trauma thereof.) But also, dear God is Erma one of the most angry ghosts ever put to paper, and she's justified. Emerson being a filmmaker by trade, I would love to see her put together the funds to adapt this book with a Native cast and crew as it deserves.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment