Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Review: The Man Who Died Twice

The Man Who Died Twice The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For this second novel of the Thursday Murder Club, it’s a 3.5 rounded up to a 4 almost entirely on the basis of Ibrahim’s story arc. While I’m pretty salty with Mr. Osman for sidelining my favorite character so soon in this book with a violent mugging, I’m also very happy that Ibrahim’s friends rallied around him like they did, and that the book explored his odd friendship with Ron - as well as Ron’s grandson Kendrick, who calls him Uncle Ibrahim and is adorably precocious. And while I disliked Ron in the first book for being a pretty basic aging leftist and lowkey racist to boot, here he gets his time to shine as a much more pleasant person. It’s odd to say, but Ibrahim’s story was so well written that it actually overshadowed the mystery aspect, though even that had a few good surprises to spare as well. I’m just glad I was able to get Books 3 and 4 alongside this one at the library, so I’ll be able to read those pretty soon too…

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment