Saturday, October 7, 2017

Review: The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've seen Patrick Rothfuss' name floating around the internet and book blurbs for quite a while, and it's only now, after his books came highly recommended by one of my Stanford Bookstore managers, that I've finally picked up The Name of the Wind. This book, it starts out pretty slowly, but when we finally get into Kvothe's POV and he starts really telling his own story, that's when the book really begins to shine. Kvothe's story is long, but richly detailed, packed with surprises, and laced with tons of the sort of humor so often lacking in fantasy novels because they tend to be either too self-serious, too much of an homage to Tolkien, or both. It's pretty good for fans of Jay Kristoff, or of Jim Butcher, particularly the Cinder Spires series. I can't wait to read the sequel! Though, to paraphrase my manager, we'll likely all be retired by the time Rothfuss finally releases the end of the trilogy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment