Friday, January 12, 2018

Review: The Ghost Brigades

The Ghost Brigades The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So this one's a sequel to Old Man's War...but a very loose one, set in the same universe but exploring all-new characters with much of the same tech and of course a similar Scalzi sense of humor. It's just too bad that rather than keep on going with the story of the titular "Old Man" - though I understand he returns in the third book - Scalzi decided to take a detour, exploring a whole new set of characters who just plain lack John Perry's charisma. I mean, it makes sense in the end, when the storylines really start to come together and set up for a most interesting new spin on things in the third book. But overall, The Ghost Brigades, smart though it may be, feels like just so much Sophomore Slump from Scalzi, enough that I almost don't want to keep going on the rest of the series. But again, for Perry, I'm gonna order Book 3 at the library as soon as possible.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment