Sunday, January 7, 2018

Review: Supergirl: Age of Atlantis

Supergirl: Age of Atlantis Supergirl: Age of Atlantis by Jo Whittemore
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Pairing nicely with Barry Lyga's middle-grade offering The Flash: Hocus Pocus is this, Jo Whittemore's Supergirl: Age of Atlantis, a relatively bite-sized piece of fun geared for a middle-grade readership, but easily digestible for Supergirl fans of all ages. I actually liked this book somewhat more than Lyga's book, though, because even while Lyga made a few improvements on the various Flash characters compared to their TV series counterparts, there was still too much corny WestAllen stuff for me to recommend the book as wholeheartedly as I would have liked.

Not so with Whittemore, though, who not only gives just about every character from Supergirl circa Season 2 (the peak of the show's quality thus far, mostly thanks to Season 3 being too grimdark just like that same-numbered season of The Flash) the spotlight time they deserve, but also gives us some seriously bonkers metahuman action to rival Supergirl the TV series at its best. And also some much-needed (especially, again, given the dreadful plot developments of Season 3) Karamel moments, which I greatly enjoy because it's my number-one canon Arrowverse ship by far (the only ship I ship more being SuperFlash.) I'm not kidding - this book is worth buying just for one scene alone. The scene where Mon, having developed shapeshifting powers, becomes an identical copy of Kara. You can bet Chris Wood would've had a blast acting that scene opposite Melissa Benoist.

At least this time, unlike with Hocus Pocus, I know right away to expect a cool sequel: Curse of the Ancients. Which, yes, I'm going to read as soon as it comes out, as I will with Lyga's (as yet unnamed, as far as I know) Hocus Pocus sequel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment