Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Review: Unearthed

Unearthed Unearthed by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thank God this is going to be the first in a series, because after that ending, if there wasn't to be a sequel, I'd be enraged as all get-out. Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner's latest collaboration, while set in the Starbound universe - as evidenced by a mention of Francois LaRoux - is a little closer to Kaufman's collaboration with Jay Kristoff, The Illuminae Files, in style. It's a ton more action-packed, though not sacrificing any of the romantic elements. Maybe a little too much on the insta-love end of the scale, but Jules and Mia at least admit it's more insta-lust than anything else. Especially Jules, making him oddly super-relatable to me. We also get a little more diverse here than in previous Kaufman and/or Spooner works, Jules being black - well, technically, he's described as having brown skin and curly hair, but I headcanon him as black unless told otherwise.

And best of all, the storyline - basically the love child of Indiana Jones and Prometheus. I'm not kidding, especially with that unholy cliffhanger of an ending - which, hopefully, won't lead to an Indiana Jones and Alien: Covenant hybrid! I bought this book practically sight unseen on Monday just to have it in time for getting it signed on Wednesday, and let me tell you, it's very much worth the purchase price. I'm putting this on my official Staff Pick tag at work the next time I come in: "BUY THE HELL NOW."

Onward, if you dare.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment