Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Review: Supermarket

Supermarket Supermarket by Bobby Hall
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been seeing little hints being dropped that this book was a thing in the last couple of weeks or so. Then I saw it on the table at work, picked it up because I thought, wait, who's the author? Is this book anonymous? Then I realized what this book really was - Logic's debut novel, under his real name of Bobby Hall. And I had to read it all as quickly as I could - which was pretty easy given that it's less than 300 pages and I had the power of several cups of coffee in my system. Well, more accurately, two cups of coffee and one espresso, but still. It's the principle of the thing. And the principle of this thing is that it's a millennial Fight Club on a much smaller scale, less about the subtle gayness (this book is actually about one of the most hetero I've ever read, tbh) and more about the exploration of mental illness and artistry. And in that exploration, Hall writes a protagonist who combines so many elements of myself and my dear friend Koda - himself the biggest Logic fan I know - into one that it's not even funny. Hell, the small-town Oregon setting is so very Koda, and considering I'm planning to move up to Oregon by the end of this year...well, let's just say that this book is going to require a few more reads on my part, but I'm more than down for that. I'll probably page through at least one copy several times over as I attempt to hand-sell this one at work, because god DAMN did I need this book right now. And I know so many fellow artists and fellow warriors in the fight to take back their own mental health who need this book right now too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment