Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Review: Black Leopard, Red Wolf

Black Leopard, Red Wolf Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of this book, purely because of how often grossgusting it is. I mean, it's super engaging, and has the recommendations of Neil Gaiman and Roxane Gay going for it. And it's super colorful in a lot of ways. And super...well, I mean, I can totally see why Gaiman loves it, purely because it's very stylistically similar to American Gods with its sprawling road-fantasy to a lot of memorable places with a lot of memorable characters therein. But this book is also loaded with ultraviolence that puts A Clockwork Orange to shame. Hell, even Tarantino might blush at the repeated instances of child rape (among rape of adults too), people getting pissed on all over the place, and a certain preoccupation with penises as symbols of power. It's not an easy read, not by a long shot, but if you can stomach it, it's worth a shot. And I'm hoping not to have to wait too long for Book 2...though I'm not sure how much Marlon James intends to up the violence...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment