Monday, September 16, 2019

Review: A Crash of Fate

A Crash of Fate A Crash of Fate by Zoraida Córdova
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not the first piece of EU fiction that Zoraida Córdova has blessed us with, but this first tie-in to Galaxy's Edge (am I the only Star Wars fan who hasn't been there at Disneyland yet, though?) is a pretty sweet first official Star Wars novel of hers. Reminding me a lot of Claudia Gray's Lost Stars, A Crash of Fate takes us to Batuu in what I can only presume to be the gap between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, in which we get to see some classically Star Wars story elements - cocky adolescents of little means but lots of heroism, a love story for the ages, and a sense of sheer wonder at what may lay beyond your little backwater home. But being a work of the Disney era, it also manages to reflect 2019 values pretty well too, and Córdova writes in a hell of a lot of casual diversity - people of all races, aliens of all stripes, even the occasional bit of LGBTQ+ rep on the side. Though Batuu may be an isolated world in the middle of scenic nowhere, that doesn't stop it from hustling and bustling on the level of New York in truly cosmopolitan style. Now, hopefully it won't be long until I get ahold of Delilah S. Dawson's Black Spire to well and truly continue my exploration of Batuu.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment