Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Review: Hero

Hero Hero by Michael Grant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think Michael Grant said as far back as 2017, when the first of this sequel trilogy to Gone finally came out, that he was all but done with the YA business going forward. At least he finished this trilogy first...and what a finale it was, bringing us some apocalyptic destruction of New York that reminded me a lot of a certain scene at the start of Remnants in which San Francisco was destroyed. This, of course, being the cue for Dekka and Cruz and Shade and Malik and Armo and of course Sam and Astrid too - finally, Astrid gets back into the story again! - to take on the newest and nastiest Rockborn threat yet. As you can expect from Michael Grant, the action never stops, not once, except maaaaaaaaybe for the very ending when we get a taste of just how truly warped this trilogy has been all along. It's a deliberate, even trollish, game on Grant's part, which makes sense given his trollish reputation among the YA community (not that it stops me reading, loving, and selling his books, because God knows there are worse out there that I still read anyway.) Therefore, to Grant, I tip the hat and bid this story 'verse ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment