Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Review: The Queen of Nothing

The Queen of Nothing The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's the first time I've finished reading an entire series that Holly Black wrote - which, let's be honest, isn't much of an endorsement, since she's just one of those authors that I've historically had a ridiculously hard time getting into. Probably because she's very similar in style to my own writing, but then explain why I like Cassandra Clare's books so much? Probably because let's be honest, Clare writes far more likable characters. That's really where Black falls flattest with me, her characters. At least in this case, Jude is somewhat more likable because as much as she has to be calculating, everyone around her is even more so. At least, until some asshats realize they're going to need her help, and lots of it. While I frankly think that this entire trilogy would've probably worked far better as a single volume - and probably overall a third shorter than its actual length of about 900 pages total - I can at least now say ave atque vale to The Folk of the Air. And maybe I'll enjoy Holly Black's next work...and hopefully not find it too hype-damaged like it so often is for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment