Sunday, February 11, 2024

Review: Ruthless Vows

Ruthless Vows Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I did like the first book in this series well enough, but this sequel, the concluding entry in the series, was just a little bit of a letdown in comparison. Sure, the tension between Iris and Roman (the latter having a serious memory problem as a result of his abduction by a semi-sympathetic elder god who wants him to write propaganda opposing the even less sympathetic goddess who's been luring soldiers to fight for her thousands of miles from home) is still as strong as it ever was, and keeps the book compulsively readable. But seriously...I feel like I'm going to be complaining about this for the rest of my life, but why has the publishing industry, especially in YA, really been pushing duologies in recent years? Other than Marie Lu, most authors struggle to pull it off. I seriously think Ross should've made this one a trilogy, because as it is, she had to really rush the ending to make it another duology. But for now, I declare ave atque vale to this series as I've done with so many others before it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment