Sunday, March 10, 2024

Review: Fate Breaker

Fate Breaker Fate Breaker by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Aveyard has finished two series to date, but this one, for the first time, really and truly feels like it's all come to an end. To be fair, War Storm had a very open ending, and while Broken Throne had short story epilogues, I'm still dying for Aveyard to return to that story world with the promise of a new follow up series about the War of Red Thunder.

But here, in the last of Aveyard's YA-in-marketing-only epic fantasy love letter to her Tolkien-loving teenage self who needed a little something more than what Tolkien and Lewis liked to write (especially from a gender and cultural standpoint), she brings the story to a strong conclusion that finally earns this series a place on my five-star "read this if it kills you!" shelf, and once again validates my status as a lifetime passenger on the Aveyardian hype train.

It's just over 600 pages, similar in length to War Storm, but feels so much shorter because of how fast-paced this book is just like its predecessors. (Also, the book itself was printed thinner, I'm pretty sure - I do remember buying War Storm at my old Stanford Bookstore job and it was a pretty thicc brick, very square in its construction...but I digress.) Over a year and a half in the real world after the massive cliffhanger on Blade Breaker, it's great to finally see it get resolved, and then to lead into one last battle to save the world from What Waits, a sinister and enigmatic elder god who really does feel like the second coming of Sauron despite being so the opposite of omnipresent up to now.

Gotta say, what happens when the villains get what's coming to them...it has to be seen to be believed.

To the Realm Breaker trilogy, I now declare a well deserved ave atque vale.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment