Friday, March 29, 2024

Review: Making It So: A Memoir

Making It So: A Memoir Making It So: A Memoir by Patrick Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I guess I’ve been on a slight celebrity memoir kick lately, having read Geddy Lee’s My Effin’ Life over Christmas, and now this memoir from Sir Patrick Stewart. Though there’s much to be said about his star-making role as Picard (my first and favorite Star Trek Captain), he wouldn’t be the great legend we know today if not for his humble beginnings in a working class family in Yorkshire (trigger warning: domestic violence, a facet of his childhood he’s spoken frankly about before), as well as his days in theater, from regional to international and always including Shakespeare. He may be disciplined, but he’s a humble and honest man too, and I relished learning about Stewart’s craft and style. And there were a few surprises in his story too - like, I didn’t realize he didn’t know Sir Ian McKellen, much less befriend him, till they played nemeses for the ages in the X-Men films. It’ll be a sad, sad day when the world loses Sir Patrick, but I think that day is still a long time coming.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment