Friday, May 10, 2019

Review: The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried by Shaun David Hutchinson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I hate to say it but sometimes Shaun David Hutchinson's books lose a bit of their luster with each one I read. I really loved my first book of his - At the Edge of the Universe - as well as We Are the Ants, and I enjoyed The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley and The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza too. But I guess The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried is...kind of a dud, I'm gonna be honest. I mean, there's some things going for it for sure - the usual hyper-inclusivity of Hutchinson's narratives, centering queerness (though this book also includes a straight girl's POV and she is, shall we say, not hip to LGBTQ+ issues) and doing its damnedest to keep marginalized identities from being characters' entire personalities. And it's got a pretty brilliantly on-the-nose metaphor for friendship decay in the form of a dead friend coming back to a sort of zombie form, though without the hunger for living flesh or contagion. Unfortunately, Hutchinson writes all too short a book, and it shows - there's simply not enough time to completely build the world, a lot of stuff goes unexplained, and frankly, July's POV is almost too annoying to read because she's simply a terrible person, self-centered and insensitive (though I get the feeling that Hutchinson had a little fun writing her, at times, as the stereotype of a white person unwilling to check their privilege.) Even Dino, as sweet and anxious and relatable as he is, I wish he could've shown a little more personality - I think Hutchinson might've sacrificed too much of Dino's backbone in the effort to prop up July, and perhaps also to avoid too many comparisons to previous protags of his. It's a shame, I was going to rate this one a little higher, but after letting my thoughts percolate a little more, I'm taking this one down to two stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment