Monday, May 13, 2019

Review: Broken Throne

Broken Throne Broken Throne by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's Victoria Bloody Aveyard.

I'm in.





Especially with that glorious purple cover, all silver blood...it's gonna look so beautiful next to my collection of the first four books!


It's a most wonderful coda to the Red Queen series in general, finally filling in a fair few gaps in the narrative from the main four novels. We get to see a lot of backstory, proving that this main part of the story is about 1500-2000 years into the future or so - more than the triple digits I would've assumed previously based on the series' similarities to The Hunger Games. It's also good to get a recap of the first two short stories that Aveyard wrote, the ones that appeared in the Cruel Crown collection back in 2016. But now we also get three new stories, one that takes us to the Disputed Lands and shows us some real lawlessness, and two that serve as epilogues to the series proper - including one that I was really hoping for after the bittersweet ending of War Storm last year. For, uh, love-related reasons. And also a final piece of story that goes back to near the end of that fourth novel, one that made me want to throw a knitting needle through a certain someone's eye - you know exactly who. And also some final world-building bits - like some glimpses of what lies beyond Montfort (a very Spanish pseudo-Catholic theocracy called Ciron on what's left of the West Coast.) And reinforcement that God, I would LOVE to live in Montfort more than any of the other nations of this world, if only because it's such a beautiful place. Every time Aveyard describes the pines over the premier's palace is... *chef's kiss*

Tl;dr - it's time I finally, officially, bid the Red Queen series ave atque vale, though I'm not going to stop selling it at work anytime soon.

And let me just say this much...

Red Thunder.

Make it so, Victoria.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment