Friday, February 12, 2021

Review: Remote Control

Remote Control Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't realize until very recently that Nnedi Okorafor had a new book out, so I put it on my library ebook list with barely a second's glance. Then I got it, and I realized, wait a second...this is a novella? Damn, but once again Okorafor gives us a bite-sized Africanfuturist and Africanjujuist (I went and looked up to confirm that she didn't use the label "Afrofuturist" for her work, and while I hadn't heard that she'd coined these terms before today, her definitions in her "Africanfuturism Defined" essay absolutely apply here) story that packs a punch well above its weight, with its unique fusion of science-fantasy as only Okorafor could do it. Alien artifacts leading to mysterious magical consequences, and the involvement of real-world African faiths? It's everything we've all come to expect from Okorafor and more. Though I was able to read it all in one sitting, guaranteed this story will stick in my mind for quite a while.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment