Monday, February 22, 2021

Review: The Mask Falling

The Mask Falling The Mask Falling by Samantha Shannon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Samantha Shannon is absolutely one of the most ambitious authors in the SFF business today - I mean, she announced her debut novel as the first of a seven-part series for God's sake, and over the last near-decade we've been getting steadily closer to making that septology a complete reality. Now, we're at the halfway point - the fourth book, four years after its predecessor, taking us to Scion France and getting us deeper in a new side of this dangerous alternate-historical/alternate-futuristic culture. And, of course, deepening the romance between our Underqueen Paige and her once and future Warden Arcturus - I can't believe I'm shipping them as much as I am now, given that I've rejected a lot of similar ships (Rhys/Feyre, even though I warmed up to them over time, and of course Alina/Darkling, a ship I'd still rather firebomb into oblivion than see set sail). Let's just say that this book is absolutely Shannon's magnum opus up to this point, so beautifully capturing its Parisian setting and numerous layers of magical intrigue, and all building up to one of the most literally weapons-grade cliffhangers in history. God, I hope Shannon's not gonna take another four years to give us Book 5, though given that she's promising a long, long book (at least a thousand manuscript pages last I heard), who even knows?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment