Monday, September 18, 2023

Review: The Mountain in the Sea

The Mountain in the Sea The Mountain in the Sea by Ray Nayler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book got a pretty nice push in marketing a few months back from Barnes & Noble, if I remember correctly, selecting it as a Book of the Month. So when I placed an order for it at the library, it was a very long waitlist, over two months...and let me tell you, I'm sorry to say that it was not worth the wait. The premise is intriguing enough, with its idea of octopi whose language is just waiting for humans to decipher, if the octopi don't kill the humans first. It's like Arrival in that respect, especially when the octopus language relies heavily on variations on circular symbols, but also like Arrival it's a very slow burn of a story. Too slow, if you ask me, and the dull human characters and their endless philosophizing doesn't help. No, this one's not for me, but maybe I'll try another Nayler novel some other time...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment