Friday, June 10, 2016

Review: Dark Energy

Dark Energy Dark Energy by Robison Wells
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Robison Wells (and Dan Wells too) have always been relatively hit-or-miss for me. This one, I'm sorry to say, is more of a miss. The story spends most of its time moving as slow as molasses - which is exactly what you don't want in a book this short. In other words, it's like a bad episode of The X Files. The use of Native American culture and traditions as part of the whole alien backstory is welcome, though, because it calls up some better X Files memories - especially when various Southwestern locations come into play. Unfortunately, the story doesn't really add up to much, especially since it spends so much time focusing on barely-funny boarding-school antics that when the alien mysteries finally come into the forefront, it feels like too little too late.

At least this book's a standalone, and I'll probably still pick up whatever Wells (either one of them) puts out next. I'll be a little more cautious, though.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment