Saturday, June 18, 2016

Review: Dreams of Gods & Monsters

Dreams of Gods & Monsters Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a brick. This was a giant apocalyptic golden brick.

It took me a long time to read it, because I had to be sure to appreciate it all.

Sometimes, I had trouble remembering where everyone was, because so many plot threads were flying at once in the face of the dreaded Arrival.

But hey, more Karou and Akiva? More Zuzana and Mik? And Eliza...oh, Eliza. I always have a bit of a soft spot for people raised in freaky doomsday cults - that's really no way to live. Especially if you happen to be the prophesied "chosen one," which means they'll deprive you of all agency in your life just because they think they can.

Cultism in general is for no, according to this book. Don't just go along with the groupthink. Especially supposedly heavenly-ordained groupthink.

But hey, I'm glad I finally rediscovered this trilogy, because now I really know what I was missing - the setup for this here thing of beauty.

To the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, I say ave atque vale. (Does anyone know how to translate that into Seraphic?)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment