Thursday, September 27, 2018

Review: Let's Talk About Love

Let's Talk About Love Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been a while since I first saw this book appear on the shelves at work, and I feel like it took longer than it should have for me to finally pick it up and read it. In the weeks between me picking up the book at the library and finally reading it, I heard a few rumblings about it possibly being problematic. Something about it being lesbophobic because our main character, Alice, her ex Margo is a bit of a nasty type who breaks up with Alice because they're not sexually compatible and then starts acting pretty damn racist when confronted about it (basically saying that Alice can't be ace because she's Black, a stereotype that I've actually seen one Twitter mutual talk about because it made her hard to accept her own Black ace identity for a while.)

But I have one biromantic ace friend who read this book #ownvoices and loved it - five stars, in fact! So I go by her opinion, and with that in mind, I found Let's Talk About Love pretty enjoyable. Well, except for Margo. She's the worst. But Alice, she's one of the loveliest main characters in the various SwoonReads books I've seen in my time, and considering she's in company with Taylor and Charlie from Queens of Geek and Teddy and Bennett from Love Scene, Take Two, that's saying something. This whole book, it's a bit of a hot mess at times, but when love in any form is involved, when is it not? It's a sweet hot mess and I'm here for that and anything else Claire Kann writes for us. Especially because I'm always super psyched to spread the love for fellow Bay Area writers!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment