Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Review: Picture Us in the Light

Picture Us in the Light Picture Us in the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This one, I think I picked it up because Harry said it was good. Or that he was hoping to read it himself. Having read it, I have to say, I'm...not all that impressed? I mean, it wasn't a half bad book. Danny was a most likable MC, and the Cupertino setting felt pretty real - though I have to admit, the most of Cupertino I've seen is the rather scuzzy Homestead Bowl, not exactly the luxurious place where everyone knows each other from school or the learning center. But from what I've seen myself, working at a tutoring center in Union City, it does seem like the whole "family and friends" network is real.

Though how easy is it to make friends when your parents don't want to?

Now that, I could relate to the best.

Though the book's kinda hamstrung by a slow-moving first half to two-thirds - which is a big part of why the rating went down to three stars for me, that plus the constant and abrupt shifts in time like we're on an episode of Arrow or How to Get Away With Murder - I have to say that I was entirely surprised by all the twists. I thought I had a prediction of the secret of Danny's parents as far back as page 50? Suffice it to say I was so, so wrong.

I hope to read more of Kelly Loy Gilbert's books in the future, especially since I always enjoy boosting Bay Area talent whenever I can.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment