Thursday, September 27, 2018

Review: The Reckoning of Noah Shaw

The Reckoning of Noah Shaw The Reckoning of Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even though the first book disappointed me a bit, I'm still super-psyched for The Reckoning because dammit I want Noah and Mara and Jamie and all their peeps to make it out of this new series happy!

Except if this ARC is anything to go by, they don't, but what else is new?

This one still isn't as good for me as the original series was, mostly due to a somewhat unfocused second half that kinda drags it down. But the first half, when we get an extended flashback to the time when Noah was, um, in captivity during the better part of The Retribution of Mara Dyer and Mara thought he was dead, it feels like Hodkin does a great job of finally filling in this narrative gap. Then, while that second half does feel unfocused, it unleashes a whole torrent of surprises on us the readers - including, of course, a cliffhanger just as weapons-grade as the one we got in Part 2 of Hodkin's last trilogy, if not more so.

Again, I'm really sad that the happy ending of the original trilogy is pretty much all gone at this point. But now I only have to wait maybe a year for the end? Hopefully no more than that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment