Sunday, September 2, 2018

Review: The Point

The Point The Point by John Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It kinda surprised me last month when I saw, on the bookstore shelves, a new book by John Dixon. His first in, what, three years? But while it's not a confirmed follow-up to Phoenix Island or Devil's Pocket, it's a for-sure welcome addition to the man's bibliography. Continuing in Dixon's classic style, here we get into a pretty deadly YA military-sci-fi thriller. Though my workplace puts this book on the adult shelves - not without reason, given the bloody horror, telepathic terror attacks, and allusions to sexual assault. Perhaps I wasn't quite as into this book as Dixon's prior two, but Scarlett Winter, our Posthuman heroine, shines pretty brightly despite all the trouble she endures in her past and present both.

As for her future, well, there's definitely room for a sequel. But like Dixon's first two books, this one works pretty well as a standalone too.

I still hope for a sequel, though, because there's no way Scarlett's journey ends here. Not on a satisfying note, anyway.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment