Saturday, September 22, 2018

Review: Shadow of the Fox

Shadow of the Fox Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Kagawa wasn't done with 2018 when she put out the fifth and final Talon novel - nope, now she's ready to start a brand-new, very #ownvoices fantasy series, a trilogy that's promising us all the usual we've come to expect from her and more. The ARC I traded for, it shows us how well-fed Kagawa's keeping us, her fans, with kitsune and demonslayers and ronin and samurai and eight clans of elemental magic.

Maybe there's a tad less romance in this book - okay, maybe a lot less than usual for Kagawa, which makes me low-key wonder what Harlequin TEEN's doing publishing it. Maybe it's a little hard to follow the POV switches between chapters because unlike, say, in the Talon Saga, they're not clearly indicated and I found myself having to stop frequently to absorb all the context clues to figure out who was narrating. (Maybe that'll be fixed in the final print? I hope.)

But for sure, Kagawa's still one of the best in the business at the fantasy-action game, and Shadow of the Fox, this monstrously magical first part of the trilogy, is no exception. And it all builds up to a nasty little cliffhanger that owes a lot to both Victoria Aveyard and Marie Lu in its execution, which leaves me extra-dying for the second book. (The title of which is revealed at the end of this ARC, but GR lists something different, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume Soul of the Sword is the official title now. This is an old ARC anyway, predating the cover art, even!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment