Thursday, September 20, 2018

Review: The Poet X

The Poet X The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I haven't read too many novels in verse, but those few that I've read, I've loved. Long Way Down, of course. The poetry sections in Bronx Masquerade. And now, The Poet X, possibly the longest novel in verse I've read, and for sure a gripping read all the way through. Acevedo knows how to make use of so much blank space on the page to paint a stark picture, and wastes no time in not only smashing the patriarchy, but also taking conservative Catholicism in general to task. Though I'm not Dominican and my family's not nearly as strict as X's, I can feel so much of myself in both her and Xavier the Twin because they each have their own rebellions. Rebellions that shouldn't be rebellions. Xiomara, being an artist. Xavier, being gay. As a queer writer myself, both twins are like my biggest alienating-from-my-family sides brought to life - just like how I did with the Snow Bros in my own books. I'm for sure going to add Acevedo to my "I'm gonna read all her books now" list, and hopefully not be late to the party on them like I shamefully was with this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment