Sunday, April 7, 2019

Review: Into the Drowning Deep

Into the Drowning Deep Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I got recommended this book on the basis that it had some pretty good autistic rep, and I was not disappointed on that front. On the fronts of autistic rep and queer rep - especially bi rep - I pronounce myself most pleased with this book. There's also some deaf rep that I think will go very well appreciated by many. That said, I found the story a little longer than I would have liked, and a lot of the characters, to me, didn't really feel dynamic enough. Like, they tended not to react to the goings-on in a really active way, and it made me feel a lot less connected to the story than I would have hoped. But it's a very uniquely dark and old-fashioned take on the mythos of mermaids, a pretty good fit into the Mira Grant bibliography. If she comes out with another story in this 'verse, I'd be pretty happy to read it. But for now, I think I'll go back and try to find that first story that Grant wrote, one which I think I've managed to forget about for the better part of four years...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment